Saturday, September 27, 2008

Donating Blood

I am at the United Blood Center in Reno today donating platelets. I like to come every two weeks (plaetlets replenish themselves in 24 hours) but I haven't been here since June. :-( I sit here from 90 minutes to 2 hours. That's what it takes to draw, spin the platelets out and return the rest of my blood. It takes the longest if my count was high enough to give a double unit. Today will only be a single.

My reason for sitting here so long is that my platelets are given to people who are undergoing chemotherapy. My platelets help them feel better. Someone else gave their time and platelets for my Aunt Dottie. My time means nothing when I know I've helped improve the quality of someone elses day, particularly when they may not have much quality in their life.

Today the draw machine was not liking me so they had quit early - only 45 min today.

No comments: