Sunday, November 16, 2008

Life Is What Happens

A friend of mine is going through a rough time (actually, a couple of friends are). I was texting with one of them when they said something about life not turning out like they'd expected. To which I sent this quote. I was surprised that my paraphrasing it was so close:
"Life is what happens when we're making other plans"
I wasn't sure where the quote had come from, or who said it, but that's typical of me. I tend to see the Forest before the trees (John Lennon said it, but I swear it was lyrics in a song and can't remember/find the song). [edit: I found it ... Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)
Before you cross the street,
Take my hand,
Life is just what happens to you,
While your busy making other plans,]
So, my friend, where you aren't the one I was texting with, yet you know who you are, this is for you.

Life is what happens when you're making other plans. Therefore, live for THIS DAY. Pastor Pete used this in his Five at Fifty five series ... RIGHT NOW is what you've got. Live for it, live IN it, and enjoy everything about it RIGHT NOW. LIFE is an incredible amazing gift, and it is GOOD.

Interesting ... I just had a small epiphany ... (small is good, big ones would probably cause my brain to explode) LIFE is the forest ... the days are the trees. If you focus on the details (trees), you miss the beauty of the life (the forest).

Then to further confuse myself: If the days are the trees, don't let the details of the day get in the way of enjoying it's beauty - enjoy the beauty of the tree

Tomorrow may never come. I learned that when Chuck died. Don't let the difficulties of what's going on in your life distract you from the JOY. And when you realize that I understood this before I understood God, it says a heck of a lot about this reality.

Live it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was good to read, as was your positive post tuesday post. Thanks for sharing all this.

Diana said...

thejambi -

Thanks for reading my blog. I'm glad you enjoyed them.

And here I thought no one read my blog.

Life is Good.